Growth Spurts and New Directions

By Madeleine Hines (MFA 2014)

It's interesting to see how artists change and develop over the course of their careers. I asked some of my classmates to share how--in their view--their work has progressed now that they have one year under their belt at the New York Academy of Art.

"Since coming to the school, my work has become more conceptually driven. My interest in figure/space relationships has developed to the point of becoming as relevant to the subject matter as the mind/body relationship, which has always been such a central point of focus in my paintings."

BEFORE THE ACADEMY

AT THE ACADEMY





































"For me my work has not drastically changed in subject matter but on a technical level, the school has really whipped me into shape."

BEFORE THE ACADEMY

AT THE ACADEMY


Steve Vollo
"New York has changed my work because my work deals with my life. The place where I lived is gradually starting to feel more and more insignificant. I have gone from painting monumental images of my experiences to making work that deals with past experience with both indifference and empathy."

BEFORE THE ACADEMY

AT THE ACADEMY


"Being at the Academy has been such an enriching experience. Not only have the excellent instructors in each class been a big help for me, but also being surrounded by a group of amazing artists that advise me in each critic as well as my talented classmates who share their knowledge with me when I need it."

BEFORE THE ACADEMY


AT THE ACADEMY


"From day one, this Academy has change the way I perceive and handle paint. I thought I understood the intricacies of the material, but the NYAA has embedded within me a deeper understanding of the true meaning of a painting. I now understand what truly separates painting from all other artistic mediums."
BEFORE THE ACADEMY

AT THE ACADEMY

Madeleine Hines is blogging throughout the academic year about her first year at the Academy and moving to New York City. Check the label "First Year Experience" or "Madeleine Hines" for more posts about his first year at the Academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment