ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: Julio Stanly Flores

The Academy is pleased to share a new ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT series on our blog. We'll be spotlighting our alums to give you an idea about what it's like to be an Academy grad. Here, Julio Stanly Flores, MFA 2009. 


Julio Stanly Flores, Red Buck
What are you currently working on?
I am working on a series of paintings that depict animals/humans and the potential for violence and destruction. The series at the moment is essentially life size studies of taxidermy animals.

I also started a Furniture restoration and home décor business in Bucks County, PA. During the spring semester I was the assistant Anatomy instructor for John Horn at New York Academy of Art, while also working as a ghost painter for an Artist in NY.

What was your most recent big thing?
Having figured out a new direction for my work is currently the biggest and most important thing for me.

What do you find challenging about your work?
Finding sources to paint from.

What do you find rewarding about what you do?
It's rewarding that somehow despite having multiple jobs I have found a way to keep art and painting integrated into my daily life. Having a dedicated studio in the house allows me to run in when I’m in the mood and having found the perfect balance to be in the mood has been paramount. I also have various jobs that satisfy every one of my needs I get to paint, design, build, teach, and illustrate.

Julio in his studio with studio-mate Kaiser
What’s on the horizon for you?
Now I'm working on setting up an organization in Guatemala with the purpose of bringing awareness to Autism through art and education, Central America has a serious problem with Autism due to a lack of information and unfortunately some atrocities are occurring to children.

Julio Stanly Flores MFA

No comments:

Post a Comment