Escape from Studio Lockdown: In Search of Bhagyanath Chandroth

The best way to make a dramatic leap as an artist is to stop working. After Hilary Harkness' show at Mary Boone Gallery in 2011, she laid down her brushes for a full month and went to southern India. Personal transformation aside, she will never evaluate art the same way again.  Here are some ideas for ways to push your practice forward from the subcontinent.
 
In Search of Bhagyanath Chandroth

There’s a thriving art scene in Kerala, so I traveled to the color-drenched port of Kochi to connect with the artist Bhagyanath, whose work I feel an affinity to. He originally introduced himself to me via Facebook, and when I checked out his work online I knew I had to meet him in person to talk shop and discover more about his inspiration. Every time I visit a new city I try to meet an artist or do a studio visit because museums and art galleries rip art out of its true context (unless it was made specifically to be seen in a museum, yawn). For me, connecting with artists is the number one reason to travel, so consider trying it yourself, it’s easier and more fulfilling than you might imagine.


 
 
Upon arriving at the local airport, I fainted and was delirious for days. I have a blurry memory of some antique fishing boats in the harbor with the pizazz of a Lari Pitman paintings, but I failed in my quest to meet with Bhagyanath. Here are some examples of his work that I feel connected to from 8,000 miles away.



Trapped
For My Little Friend, 2006
2010
Space and Ladder, 2008

Secret Dialogue 17


All works are copyright Bhagyanath Chandroth. Find out more at www.kashiartgallery.com/archives/bhagyanath
Even better, get in touch with him on Facebook, he’ll be happy to hear from you!

1 comment: