ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: Shin-Young An

The Academy is pleased to share a new ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT series on our blog, to showcase what our graduates are doing. Here, Shin-Young An, MFA 2001.


What are you currently working on?

Joining Candles for Light, 24x24"
Oil on Prepared Newspaper, Mounted on Canvas
I am working on my Limbs series of paintings mostly as a full time artist. The main theme of my recent work is exploring the unfortunate reality of our present world. While reading the newspaper, articles began affecting me to the point that I realize I am a somewhat powerless artist and I wanted this to be reflected in my work. It has given me the opportunity to respond to social, political and environmental issues. I depict these reactions through the visual interaction of limbs and portraits painted against a backdrop of current news articles that have touched me.

What was your most recent big thing?
I received 2011 State Arts Council Individual Artists Fellowship Grant and my new paintings have been participating in Art Fairs almost every month by the gallery that represents me, Patrajadas Contemporary Art. The next art fair I will be participating in is ArtHamptons July 7 - 19, 2011. 

What do you find challenging about your work?
Juxtaposing ordinary, routine tasks against a backdrop of current news articles.
 
Shin-Young An at her exhibition at the Bergen PAC, NJ
What do you find rewarding?
When I receive viewers' reactions and responses through exhibitions where my work is shown, and I enjoy networking.

What’s on the horizon for you?
I am an ordinary person as an artist who faces the unfortunate reality of life and remains unconcerned with life. I think both are the greatest social evils in our present time. We can be aware of the coexistence of both disturbance and peace through my artwork.I’m not sure what I can do for the future in order to reduce feelings, of guilt, but I am sure that I learned a lot through my recent work process. Honesty is the key to new and creative artwork. Without self-reflection, I can not be a better artist. Without introspection of our selves, our society can not be better. I have a new series of work in my mind with the global issues for a positive impact on the future. I hope I have more time and passion to start it soon.

Shin-Young
www.an-shinyoung.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment